While many people consider addiction to be a disease that only affects adults, teens, and adolescents are also susceptible to a substance use disorder. Adolescents need treatment to help them identify triggers and learn and master healthy coping mechanisms, just as adults do when dealing with drug or alcohol abuse. Fortunately, the District Recovery Centers offers an adolescent treatment program designed to meet the specific needs of young people and the challenges they face.
The Need for an Adolescent Treatment Program
Adolescence is a stage in both emotional and biological development that can be challenging. It is during this time individuals attempt to establish themselves, find, and form a coherent identity. However, this can lead to a lot of confusion, poor decision making, and traumatic experiences. This puts adolescents at greater risk of developing mental health issues like anxiety or depression. Our adolescent treatment program strives to help clients identify the issues confronting them, come to terms with and improve their decision-making process, and help them lay the foundation for positive mental health as they grow into adulthood.
Our Therapeutic Approach
In our been proven effective in treating trauma and other mental health issues like depression or anxiety disorders. Those conditions frequently lead both adolescents and adults to abuse drugs or alcohol, increasing the risk of developing a dependency or addiction. Some of our therapies include:
- Individual therapy: Working one-on-one with a counselor or therapist.
- Group therapy: This entails listening and learning from others while developing a supportive community.
- Family counseling: Adolescents often have their issues spring from or deeply affect their family, and this form of therapy works to heal rifts and address issues between all members.
In all of these contexts, clients may find themselves engaged in cognitive-behavioral therapy, which seeks to correct negative thinking and self-image, or dialectical behavior therapy, which centers around emotional control.
The District Recovery Centers
Here at the District Recovery Centers, we offer a broad range of addiction treatment programs that adults and adolescents can take advantage of to heal and recover from the disease of addiction. Our programs include:
- Gender-Specific Rehab: Some individuals heal most effectively when in treatment with those of their same gender. There are many reasons for this, but working with gender peers reduces the discomfort and avoids triggers that may exist due to domestic or sexual assault.
- Partial Hospitalization Program: In our PHP, clients come to our facility on a fixed schedule for treatment but return home or their sober living residence afterward.
- Intensive Outpatient Program: For individuals with milder addictions, those who have relapsed and need to get back on track, or clients who need treatment built around their schedule, IOP is an excellent option. In IOP, clients can maintain their work, school, or family obligations while still getting the treatment they need to recover.
- Outpatient Treatment Program: Clients at this level come to our facility, usually one or two times a month, to engage in counseling and therapy sessions to maintain their sobriety.
- Sober Living: For some, completing an IOP or PHP gives them the tools they need to start a sober life. Yet, some clients still need a highly structured environment, especially in the early stages of recovery. Our sober living program meets this need by providing a community home.
Teens and young adults who are struggling with substance use disorder have unique needs. Fortunately, our adolescent treatment program is designed to give young people the support they need to prevent substance use disorder from dictating their future. Reach out to us today at 949.570.7600 to speak with an admissions counselor to learn more about how we can help.